ave you ever realised that after doing hours of shopping, we start craving for snacks? Similar situation occurs at office around 3 pm when we feel hungry. Being a working lady, I have noticed – we don’t have much of time to enjoy home-made snacks. We have to base ourselves on quick snacks easily available in grocery store. It is easier for me to cook lunch/dinner, but when it comes to snacks, I fall short of healthy ideas. After some research, I would like to mention top 5 on-the-go snacks which you can carry in your bag for anytime crunching and not affecting diet regime.
- Low fat yogurt – This is one of my personal favourite snack and I add few berries and little of dry fruits or granola to increase the portion without introducing any fat content to it. You get ample amount of fibres as well as Omega-3 from it.
- Crispy split peas – They are crunchy and very tasty in form of snacks. Keep them handy and eat wherever you crave. They come in many flavors, so avoid the ones with cheesy coatings. One of my favourite
- Granola bar – You can find them in any grocery store and people are extremely fond of it. But always do check their nutritional value mentioned at the back of the packing to decide which one is better. Avoid fatty bars covered with chocolate, peanut butter etc. They are really effective as a snack bar.Checkout more varieties here.
- Fruit Smoothie – These are perfect homemade beverage. Just add some fruits in low-fat yogurt with ice in mixer and here you go. It’s a healthy drink with lot of vitamins and is perfect for summers. You can carry them anywhere in insulated flask. Tarla Dalal smoothie recipe here.
- Poha/ Rice Flakes – This is one of the most favourite snack in India and I have grown up eating it. It’s easy to make – Soak rice flakes in water for some time and then just use little butter to fry onion, peas and cumin seed and poha, add little salt to taste. Ready for snack party at office? Obviously this dish will have some fat, but definitely it wins over other fast foods that are available in market. Want to make Batata Poha, then checkout recipe.
Just as our car needs fuel to run smoothly, so is our body. Believe me you will be much healthier and happier, if you never ignore your food cravings. Your body will be much energised and not stressed-out. Trust your food instincts and move towards a healthy living.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” ~ Virginia Woolf